Sunday, September 28, 2008

Poke

Around here, many older folks use the archaic word 'poke' for bag. This is a paper poke.

And this is a poke bonnet. Note the drawstring at the back above the frill that prevents the dread red neck. The dictionary tells me it's called a poke bonnet because the brim pokes out but I think it's named after the bag-like construction. Years ago, when fair white skin was the token of a fine lady, many a mountain girl did her field work in such a bonnet. Long sleeves and gloves too.

I got to wondering about poke berries -- don't they look like fat little drawstring bags? I can't find a source that agrees with my amateur etymology. Mostly they say 'origin unknown.' One site hazards a guess that the name may have derived from 'puccoon' -- a plant whose roots make a red dye, just as poke berries do. I like my idea better.

Dog poke. No explanation needed.
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Susan M. Bell said...

I have poke berries all over the place around here and did not know what they were until now. Are they good for anything besides dying things red?

We don't have the dog poke around here, but the kitty poke is quite popular. :-)

Tammy said...

Great post! :-) My Grandma always called the sacks 'pokes'. "Now you pack your things in a poke if you want to spend the night". Interesting concept on the name of the Poke weed. I like it. We've always eaten the poke LEAVES when very young and tender. Fix them like spinach. Some say they aren't safe though. My Grandma loved 'em and we loved finding and picking them for her. And that poked dog looks like he might be thinking about poking back. ;-)
Tammy

Vicki Lane said...

Susan, As Tammy mentions, young poke leaves are considered edible. Most sources recommend boiling and discarding the water three times -- which is why I've never tried them. Tammy, do you do this? Lots more info on the web -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokeweed

Poor William felt like a victim of persecution as I followed him around from porch to living room, trying to poke him and get a picture of it at the same time.

Anonymous said...

Have never eaten poke/polk salad, but I always liked this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRF24LY5pvw

And I have the dreaded red neck most of the summer!

Vicki Lane said...

Thanks for the link, Phyllis! You all -- it's worth cutting and pasting into your browser so you can hear Polk/Poke (opinions vary) Salad Annie!

Tammy said...

Hi Vickie,
When I pick poke greens, I try and get the youngest tenderest leaves, then just boil them quickly. I rinse once, but I don't boil/rinse more than once. They are slightly more 'flavorful' than spinach, but are very similar. The old timers always liked hot bacon grease over fresh lettuce or poke. (Mixed with LOTS of onions out of the garden!)
Tammy

Vicki Lane said...

Thanks, Tammy!