Thursday, February 12, 2009

Great Backyard Bird Count

The Great Backyard Bird Count begins tomorrow --February 13 -- and continues through the 16th. If you have a spare half hour - at least fifteen minutes watching and counting birds and a little more time to record your count -- you can be a part of this rather nifty bit of research.

Complete instructions are at the site linked above. And over on Marta's blog, is a post about the bird count. I'm ready to give it a go!



Two Pine Siskins, one Black-Capped Chickadee



Six wild turkeys



A whole bunch of LBBs (little brown birds) -- probably Juncoes -- no, I believe they're Siskins.



One more Pine Siskin --

or, as my late mother-in-law used to call them when they crowded the prettier Cardinals out of the feeder - '#@&* Suskins!' And then she'd blow an air horn to scare them away. . .


After I speak with Herself this afternoon, I expect to be back with our own Miss Birdie full time. But I'm going to steal that half hour and do the count tomorrow.

And tomorrow I'll let you all know something of how our conversation went and what direction I'm heading.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Susan M. Bell said...

OK, this is weird. I had a dream about this bird count thing last night - hundreds of birds of all different types crowding into my yard, around my feeders. Most of them I couldn't even identify so I was trying to take lots of pictures so I could look them up.

Weird.

Anonymous said...

The birds weren't the only thing scared away by that air horn ;-)

I wish that I had caught this in time, we've been marveling at all of the different woodpeckers haunting our yard this year. Pesky but charming.

Vicki Lane said...

A nice bird book -- preferably with drawing rather than photos -- is invaluable, Susan.

Amelia -- what woodpeckers do you have? We have Downies, Red-Bellied, and Pileated. And nary an air horn to be heard :-)