Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Other Side of Darkness

. . . For my friend Sue (one of them), whose email yesterday set me thinking of of the two-sidedness of life, the good and the bad, the joyful and the tragic . . . and how light shines brightest when seen against the dark. . .





Morning

Illuminating

The pomelo's perfection --
Pink transparency.



Midday

A shaft of daylight
Beyond the dark-shadowed barn
Sings of Spring's return.

Evening

'Nothing gold can stay. . .'
But ah! the gilded needles
On that pine up there!

Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Carol Murdock said...

Gorgeous photos!It's raining and Dark here.

Auntie Knickers said...

Beautiful photographs and reflections. Thank you.

Sue P said...

Vicki, your lovely photos reflect so heart-breakingly honestly the joy and the pain that have been part of our lives in the past few weeks. I will share your blog with the immediate family; they will feel very honored. Thank you, my dear friend.

Sue P said...

Oh, my goodness! I posted my first comment before it dawned on me that this was(MUCH)more than gorgeous photos and exquisite sentiments. This was a complete poetic tribute. Your Haikus are as lovely as your photos - your diverse talents continue to amaze me.

Tess Kincaid said...

Lovely words and photos! Your first macro shot is especially nice!

Vicki Lane said...

Thanks to all of you for the nice words. Sue, I have you all in my heart.

Willow, I'm particularly proud of that pomelo (what an amazing fruit!) picture. Click on it to 'biggify' for the full effect -- it's really pretty cool.

Victoria said...

Vicki, those are some gorgeous pictures, and I love the Haikus! What does a Pomelo taste like? I've never had one.

Vicki Lane said...

Like a grapefruit but not as tart nor as juicy. Grapefruits are, I'm told, the result of a cross between pomelos (also called shaddocks) and oranges.

We have cousins in Florida who grow all kinds of exotic citrus on their land and this is one of theirs

Victoria said...

Oh, I bet they're delicious! I'll have to look for them. And I've learned something new...I never knew that grapefruits are a hybrid.