Monday, June 8, 2009

Leftover Grits and Other Matters

t
So, this is what you do with leftover grits -- pour them into a loaf pan or some such container and stick them in the fridge. In the morning, slice up the congealed grits, dip them in beaten egg, and fry in butter or bacon grease. Oh boy. If you just happen to have some leftover andouille sausage, invite it to the party.

Not health food, no, but food for the soul.


I bothered the mama hen again, getting a picture of her snug little apartment and two of her chicks. There are two more hiding beneath her, making for a grand total of four! With any luck, there'll be one or two hens in the bunch (if they live, as the old folks would say in a pre-emptive strike at Fate.)



And here, Carol, is the first of my tomatoes -- about the size of the end of my little finger. We have a ways to go.




I have a few volunteer purple potato plants, left from some potatoes that didn't get harvested last year. They are not only blooming, they are also setting fruit.
















No, these little green things here below aren't tomatoes. They are potato seeds -- something I've never paid much attention to as we always use sets -- chunks cut from sprouting potatoes.

There's a family resemblance as potatoes and tomatoes ( along with eggplants and peppers) are all members of the nightshade family Solanaceae. (As are tobacco, belladonna, jimson weed, and several other noxious plants.) All are native to the New World -- what did the Italians do before they had tomatoes in their cuisine? Imagine the Irish without potatoes! Or the English or the Germans for that matter.

Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Pat in east TN said...

I've also added some cooked pork sausage to leftover grits, put in a loaf pan, sliced and fried up for a yummy meal!

Love the mama hen and hope all works out well with the little ones.

I have little Roma tomatoes, but my others are just blooming/no fruit seen yet. I am SO hungry for a good home grown tomato! My potatoes are doing well but are bothered with little brown bugs, but not potato bugs. UGH!

Vicki Lane said...

Now that sounds like a fine idea!

Stella Jones said...

I like looking at your meals. As I'm new to Southern cooking, I don't know what things are supposed to look like, unless someone shows me, so thanks for that. Mama hen looks very well indeed, as do the babies! Your veggies are coming on just fine and dandy. I have listened to your recording,please could you tell me how you did it, so I can have a go myself? Thanks.
Blessings, Star

Tess Kincaid said...

Oh, man, it was dangerous coming over here with an empty stomach.

Vicki Lane said...

Star -- that podcast was something my publishers set up for me. They arranged for me to show up at a local radio station where my phone call interview could be recorded with good equipment. I have no idea how one goes about doing such a thing on one's own but suspect that a Google search with the key words PODCAST and HOW TO might help.

Traditional Southern cooking can be rather heavy on fried stuff -- I love it but only as an occasional treat.

We ate the last of Carol's yellow squash tonight - stuffed with breadcrumbs and onions and cumin seed (and topped with bacon, for added flavor as we say around here. My husband is of the take it or leave it school when it comes to squash but add a little bacon and his feelings shift radically!)

Maybe tomorrow we'll break out the tofu and repent of our unhealthful ways.

Byron said...

I tried growing taters in a cardboard box last year but it was too dry and I could not water them enough. I tried it simply because--no matter where I put the taters and no matter how careful I was at harvest time--there were still volunteers.

Carol Murdock said...

Vicki...sounds like all went great with the walkway and cooking!
That tomato looks great, we will get ripe ones by the weeks end!!

Vicki Lane said...

Oh, BB, we have NEVER managed to harvest all the taters. I just don't worry about it.

Carol -- the first ripe tomato is always so special -- I tend to go for BLTs with homemade mayo.