Monday, June 22, 2009

A Random Life

" . . . and then my life flashed before my eyes . . ."

It happens all the time. Up in my work room, where I sit with my laptop adding to the Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mysteries, I have only to glance up to see my backup computer -- a desktop model -- entertaining itself by randomly flashing pictures from my files on its screen.

They're just up for a few seconds -- barely long enough for me to identify time and place . . . Old Fort? last December?

















. . .there are lots of flowers, of course . . .

















. . . and some pictures that make me smile . . .



















Many are of the view to the east -- like this snowy day in winter . . .

















Lots of sunrises . . .
















And some pictures that never got properly edited . . .



















There are pictures that make me look twice -- where in the world . . .? Oh, I remember -- Baltimore,the Inner Harbor, Bouchercon last year . . .




















Familiar places -- like the old brick building at the bridge -- the inspiration for the Troll's home in DARK SEASON . . .





















Idyllic places like this lovely old house in the Cotswolds . . .


















Sometimes I'm startled by an unfamiliar face . . .























. . . and sometimes I look up to see my grandmother and her sisters, smiling at me from a hundred years ago . . .
















I am in love with this random slideshow and it is my sincerest wish that should I be comatose, moribund, senile, or otherwise unable to communicate, that my caregivers would provide this for me to watch, rather than television.

(Note to self -- add provision to Living Will.)

5 comments:

Pat in east TN said...

It is fun to look through pictures and bring back wonderful memories or just a sigh ... yep, I'll take pictures over tv any old day.

Carol Murdock said...

Those SNOW pictures cooled my heart!:D
Loved the 20/20 picture show!

Vicki Lane said...

And I like this random show immensely! ! I find that going through old scrapbooks or photo albums can flat wear me out with the weight of accumulated memories, but skipping around doesn't do that.

An inch of rain this afternoon, Pat -- did you all get some?

Wouldn't it be nice to have a room full of snow to visit on hot days, Carol?

abeachcottage said...

oh a great random selection, sometimes that's just the best type...and why I waste oh-too-much time at flickr lol!

happy days...

Sarah

Vicki Lane said...

Thanks, Sarah -- and what a great blog YOU have!