Thursday, June 18, 2009

Two More Books



The larger book is the recent Asheville Poetry Review which I had to hunt down in order to finish Kathryn Stripling Byer's magnificent poem "Searcher." She posted the beginning on her blog and I was hooked. The subject matter is startling and beautifully rendered. Have a look.

The tiny book is a little hand made treasure Kay sent me some time ago. Its blank pages intimidated me, as blank pages in a pretty book always do. But at last I decided to put one word on each page -- words I deem suitable for poetry. (Oh, I know -- all words are suitable for poetry; I mean words that in and of themselves convey a kind of poetry . . . a suggestion.) I'm adding the words as they occur to me, opening the book at random and writing the word.

So far, most of the words that have come to me are what I would call soft -- silken, wind-swept, silver-scaled, crimson -- sounds kinda like a romance novel. There are a few more solid sounds -- earth (though I find myself wanting to write earthen,) root-bound, wake (resolutely avoiding waken.)

I'm inviting you all to send me one or two words each and I'll put them in. When the book is full, I'll post what we've got.

Posted by Picasa

16 comments:

Kaye Wilkinson Barley - Meanderings and Muses said...

This is fun! we all do love words, don't we?!
Here's my two:
Shimmer
Gossamer

Vicki Lane said...

Excellent choice! (as wait persons always like to say.)

Really, both of those words are heavy with magic. Thanks, Kaye!

Liz said...

Good morning, Vicki - I love poetry of all kinds - I was just re-reading Maya Angelou's "On the Pulse of the Morning" - it can't help but bring tears to my eyes. Here are my two: Horizon and Shadows.

Kathryn Magendie said...

I just stopped by, Vicki, to say that when I was downstairs looking at my paperbacks (I keep most of the smaller paperbacks on the shelves downstairs), whose book did I see but yours! SIGNS IN THE BLOOD - I don't remember buying it or where I bought it or when...but there it was, so, I have it on my bedside table to read after I finish what I'm reading now.

I just thought that was funny after I'd told you I would buy one of your books even though I don't read mysteries and lo and behold, I already have one on my shelves!

estaminet said...

This is a great idea. I will possibly use it myself...

My two words:
heft
strain

Vicki Lane said...

Liz -- two of my favorites there! If you love poetry, do check out Kay Byer's blogs --

Kathryn -- some things are meant to be. Let me know what you think.

Estaminet -- ah! two good strong words! I think this could be a neat exercise with kids or adults -- let me know how you use it!

KarenB said...

Murmur and tether. Murmur came to me immediately but tether took a while to show up. I like the juxtaposition of the lightness of the sound of the word next to the meaning. And I'm feeling a bit tethered today by the demands of house and children.

Vicki Lane said...

Nice -- and tether reminds I need to get on with the vacuuming -- while murmuring poetic words to myself.

Tess Kincaid said...

I might just have to find myself a copy of the Asheville Poetry Review.

Susan M. Bell said...

Here are my words. Don't know where they came from, they just are.

commitment
crave

Vicki Lane said...

Willow -- here's a link with information --http://www.ashevillereview.com/

Susan -- two more strong words! We're getting a nice balance.

Marta McDowell said...

I seem to be digging-obsessed. My contribution:
Trowel
Tilth

Stella Jones said...

What fun, here's my two:

torpid
drowning

Anonymous said...

Driftwood and laughter. No time to write more tonight, but couldn't resist 'putting my 2 words worth in."

Lynne in Ga.

Victoria said...

Here are my two:

Solace

Persevere

Vicki Lane said...

Lovely, lovely words -- still room for a few more . . .