Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Wild Day Lilies and Tame High Geraniums

Orange day lilies grow wild along the branches in our part of Carolina -- their massed presence makes up for what they lack in subtlety. I have day lilies in an array of colors and forms that I find much prettier, but these wildings are just so obliging. You can't kill em with a stick and they multiply freely. Plus, what a nice complement to Maggie's red-orange fur.

This beauty is a tame hydrangea (there are wild white ones too.) The local name for these flowering shrubs is 'high geranium,' which has a certain charm to it, don't you think?

(Over at Radine Trees Nehring's blog, there's a post about using dialect in writing -- is this a big no-no . . . or not? You probably know which side I come down on.)

This old building above, once a barn and now a garage/toolshed down at our lower place, was briefly used as a school when the nearby schoolhouse burned -- way back in the early years of the last century. There's no sign left of the scholars -- except for this disused door. But I like to think that on recess, they waded in the branch where the daylilies still grow.

Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Carol Murdock said...

Thanks for the walk!
How neat that your shed was once used for a school!

You know I am all for dialect.If I'm reading place and time, I want the dialect to ring true!Have a great day!

Stella Jones said...

Your course sounds very interesting, but a bit too far away methinks.
Yes, I do like dialect. I think it adds something to the story. It's difficult to read out loud thought! I didn't know those flowers were day lilies. We don't have them in England, especially not growing wild like the ones in your pictures.
I clicked on the Google icon at the bottom, the better to see more pictures, but it didn't work. It just sent me back to my own dashboard page.
Blessings, Star

Merisi said...

I had never heard the expression "high geranium" - I quite like to think of hydrangea this way!

You live in such a beautiful area and make me want to wish for a garden in my next life.

Vicki Lane said...

Hey, Carol, You know, it's my impression that Southerners are less likely to be annoyed by dialect in writing-- not sure if that's true -- just an impression.

Star, I'm confused -- Are you in England now? -- your profile says Knoxville.

I'm always amazed at the many variations of spoken English that exist in Great Britain. And I'm sure that a real Brit would be able to pick out far more than I'm aware of.

Ah, Merisi, but you can stroll through so many beautiful gardens without ever having to worry about the upkeep!

Gary Carden said...

Vicki,
I noticed your post of the wonderful Arthurian legend books of Mary Stewart, and I wondered if you had ever encountered the four fantasy novels based on the Maginogi that is a kind of pre-sequel to Arthur. It is by a wonderful woman named named Evangeline Weston, and I just ordered a boxed set of all four novels.
Incidentally, I have an article coming out in Smoky Mountain Living magazine about the Kingdom of the Happy Land. It is due around July.

Vicki Lane said...

Hey, Gary -- I don't know these books or this author. Will have to look into it --

And I'll be looking for your article on the Happy Land!