Sunday, November 8, 2009

Sunset Marching Practice

The most glorious sunset was spread across the western sky last Wednesday night.

Unfortunately, I was in Asheville, hurrying to meet my writing class, and there was no way I could get an unobstructed shot. Frustrating!

I got to the school where my class meets early, hoping to catch the drummers at it again, especially since (ahem) I've figured out how to do movies with my wonderful new camera.



Alas, no terrific drum riffs this time. But I did record the little kids learning the basics --

And then I found out how to get my video on to You Tube. (Oh, I'm proud of myself!)

I haven't figured out how to edit out some of the repetitious bits but in time I'll figure this stuff out . . .

You can check it out below. . . and isn't that guy in charge a fine teacher?


Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Martin said...

Hi Vicki

I know how annoying it can be when a majestic looking sky presents itself just at the time when I'm stood in the wrong spot. Still, your skies are pretty impressive all the same.

I really enjoyed the video clip too. The sound is as clear as the video footage. Did you film this on the Nikon?

Margie’s daughter Leiny said...

Lovely sunset and great camera work. Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Margie.

Eliane Zimmermann said...

I just enjoyd a drum beat from my youngest a few minutes ago - still deaf! ;-)

Tess Kincaid said...

The manor is less than a mile from one local high school to the west and two miles from another on the other side of the river to the east. We hear lots of delightful band practice in the late summer and fall.

Carol Murdock said...

Vicki we on our way over to my Dad's late yesterday and saw an icrediable sunset.Eric stopped so I could get a couple of shots but I haven't even looked at them yet!
However we had a sunrise this morning like nothing I've ever seen! I'll try and post it! :)

Butternut Squash said...

What a joyful noise. Your video is working well. I love the enthusiasm of those wiggly kids.

Vicki Lane said...

Martin, yes, the video was done with the Nikon D90. I'm sure there are many more things it can do that I haven't yet explored -- perhaps cook breakfast? Now that would be lovely . . .

Willow, (nice new icon!)I grew up within earshot of a high school and have the memory of hearing band practice and, as well, the sound of the Friday night football games. Where we live now, we look down the mountain and across a valley to a distant high school. We can see the stadium lights and, if the wind set right, hear the bass drums beating but little more.

Butternut Squash -- Those kids are so cute and enthusiastic -- it's a joy to watch them.