Saturday, January 2, 2010

Handmade

We've always been fond of handmade gifts -- for giving or receiving. This year, alas, I had no time to make anything but John stepped in and turned (pun intended) out these beautiful wine stoppers from an array of exotic woods . . .

along with some elegant bowls and tiny little kaleidoscopes (not pictured.)

Claui surprised us with a lovely set of hand-embroidered napkins. She worked on them, she told me, during the power outage, by means of a head lamp. I love it!



And Justin presented us with an elaborate drawing of our extended family . . . (He was quite kind to some of us in his depiction of body shape.)

John and I are standing in the front door with Maggie between us and a tangle of dogs in front of us -- Molly and the Border boys, Jack and Dan.

Then going counter-clockwise, Ali Ali is in a rocking chair, next, our friend Josie, Claui, with William trying to climb into her lap, and Justin (looking pretty pleased with himself.)

Next is Otis the pit bull, sulking under the little table. Our friend Kasie is pouring wine, while Cory is taking a picture of Miss Susie Hutchins. Ethan and Aileen and their dogs are next. (Ethan is dashing in a frock coat, such as he wore at his wedding) and Big Eddie is stretching on the railing.

Handmade and heartwarming!
Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

Pat in east TN said...

Beautiful gifts given and received! WOW!

Martin said...

Vicki

What beautiful items. Receiving a gift made by the hand of a loved one is so special.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Gorgeous. John is very talented. I've never seen the wine stoppers. Wishing you and your family a very happy new year filled with good health.
Sam

Miss_Yves said...

The circle of wine stoppers is a beautiful photo (like that of the bowls)!
All your family is talented, especially John: I can't believe it's only a hobby for him , isn't he an artisan ?
I love Justin's drawing !

Reader Wil said...

Wonderful presents Vicki! They are made with love and therefore far more worth than any present bought in a hurry, just because you have to give something!
I wish you and your loved ones a great new year in good health and happiness.

Tammy said...

What a talented family you have! The woodwork is so beautiful, I especially like the darker bowl. The embroidered napkins lovely--the tiny flowers are set off wonderfully by the dark blue. And the drawing! What a fun piece, and I'm sure will be treasured by you always.
Tammy

Vicki Lane said...

Thanks, all!

Miss Yves -- John took the photo of the wine stoppers -- I love it! He's very good at all sorts of woodworking and useful things -- it's a way of life rather than a hobby or a trade.

Unknown said...

John should sell those winestoppers on www.etsy.com - they are beautiful! The photo of them is amazing (at first I thought they were woodworking tools). I knew he could build a mean chicken tractor - but those bowls are stunning. So much creativity in one family - WOW!

Merisi said...

Truly precious,
handmade and from the heart!

Victoria said...

I think handmade gifts are the absolute best! John's wine stoppers and bowls...WOW! The drawing is wonderful and the embroidered napkins are beautiful. How fortunate you are to have such a creative family!

Vicki Lane said...

Hey, Liz -- I passed on your suggestion to John -- I agree.

And as several of you have said, I am blessed indeed in this creative family of mine!

Tipper said...

Wow his bowls are amazing!! I love the drawing too-handmade gifts are the best.

Carol Murdock said...

Aren't we lucky to have such talented husbands? BEAUTIFUL JOHN !!

Vicki Lane said...

That John, he's something else!

(Exit humming "It's so nice to have a man around the house . . ." )