Sunday, July 29, 2012

The Founder's House


Though Thomas Hughes spent quite a lot of money on founding his Tennessee colony, he didn't spend very much time there -- possibly because of poor health but speculation is that his wife didn't want to leave England. 

Nonetheless, this is his house. A felt-topped writing desk . . .

A washstand, trunk, and a grand pot de chambre . . .

An up-to-date kitchen . . .

With all modern convienences . . .

Charming . . .

Spices . . .

And a piano in the parlor . . .

Popular tunes . . .

A fan for when the entertainment got too lively . . .
 
And a bit of Burns for those missing the homeland . . .

This will be the last of my Rugby posts. 
If you want to know more, you can visit their  website --
or better yet, visit Historic Ruugby itself.
 
Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

Unknown said...

The trip with you around Rugby have been wonderful Vicki. Thank you.

Ms. A said...

Gosh, that's quite the nice home. Doesn't look like it lacked much, except for indoor plumbing.

I've enjoyed this journey, very much!

Brian Miller said...

very cool...has been fun visiting through your eyes and words...modern conveniences, smiles...neat place....

Wayfarin' Stranger said...

Well done, Vicki. The only thing better than the virtual tour of Rugby with you was the actual tour of Rugby with you. Come back soon! Jim

Kath said...

What a treat. Thank you for sharing this. Rugby is definitely on our Got to Visit list.

KarenB said...

Thank you for your wonderful tour of Rugby. I so much enjoyed your pictures and descriptions. I'm adding Rugby to my list of Places to Visit.

Frances said...

Ahhh, Tennessee! Silly me, Vicki. I somehow though Rugby was in NC.

Stella Jones said...

Very nice Vicki. I've enjoyed my visits this week.

Christine said...

What a lovely old house; I'd love to live in it!

Anonymous said...

I seem to remember from school tours through Rugby- that some of the furniture esp the storage cabinet in the kitchen was made of chestnut wood - most likely pre blight by a few years - I had no idea that it was such a pretty wood and the history of the downfall (excuse the pun)of the chestnut tree really such a sad story for the southern Appalachias.

Deanna said...

It's hard to believe that up-to-date kitchen didn't convince Thomas' wife to leave England! Thanks for this little trip. It's been fun.

Thérèse said...

Rugby: such a rewarding place!
Thks

A Bit of the Blarney said...

What a lovely tour! Thank you! Cathy

Carol Murdock said...

I could live there!