Monday, April 29, 2013

The Great Adventure - Part One


This is a passport photo. Forty three years ago, John and I set off on our Great Adventure -- three months traveling and camping in Europe. I wrote about it  HERE a while back...


 In the course of my closet clean up in search for a missing earring, I discovered several boxes of photos -- some from said Great Adventure. Not so many as I'd like -- most of our photos are on slides -- but enough to bring back  so many memories. .

Our Sears tent -- had we only known how sophisticated European camping gear was! We looked like the poor relations...

I found postcards we'd sent my grandparents  . . .
 

So many memories -- Devon's apple orchards in bloom, Stonehenge -- back then you could walk amongst the Standing Stones, clotted cream . . .

Salisbury Cathedral, Maiden Castle -- which turned out to be an Iron Age hill fort -- a great tiered mound with sheep all over it, pubs -- I fell in love with shandy, an unlikely combination of fizzy lemonade and beer, Scotch eggs and Cornish pasties and picnicking on the cliffs of the Dorset coast...

We toured Greenwich  and Hampton Court, me, seeing it though a haze of historical novels and English history -- and when we began watching the Showtime series THE TUDORS last night, I fell in love with England all over again.
 
Posted by Picasa

19 comments:

Ms. A said...

What a handsome young couple! You found some real treasures in your search.

Merisi said...

Vicki,
these are such beautiful memories, how wonderful that you found more pictures from back then. The postcards back then were works of art compared to what most of what's offered nowadays!
The portrait is so well done, I can see you there, and the life the two of you have created since then, a match made in heaven.

Merisi said...

P.S.: Pushed the publish button too fast, sorry!

Thérèse said...

This memory lane seems wonderful!
And you too look great. A couple of pictures are often enough to bring so many more souvenirs which seemed to be lost till they surface for one reason or another.

Martin said...

I really enjoyed this post, Vicki. And I believe your lives have continued to be an adventure ever since those travelling days.

We really loved The Tudors, too. Okay, more than a fair share of licence here and there, but a gripping story, straight from our long history.

Have you ever thought of revisiting the UK again at some point in the future?

Kath said...

What wonderful memories. Thank you for sharing!

Brian Miller said...

wow...what an incredible adventure you went on...i would love to travel europe...cool pic of you as well...smiles.

Pat in east TN said...

Always fun to find hidden treasures that bring back wonderful memories. Thanks for sharing.

Jean Baardsen said...

Wonderful memories! And I love the passport photo!

Miss_Yves said...

We had the same inernational card of camping8
And a small tent like you had., and the same town to visit in England.
I love the portrait of your husband and yourself: so romantic!

JJ Roa Rodriguez said...

cool pics! you and your husband are very good looking people...

love this...

will be waiting for the next part...

JJRod'z

Folkways Note Book said...

You did what I always wanted to do when I was young but life got in the way. I bet you two made a dashing young couple as you rode your bike around the countries. I can understand why you call it your trip of a lifetime. barbara

Frances said...

Vicki, what a wonderful time you all must have had ...dashingly attractive couple touring all over beautiful areas.

Perhaps you'll consider an anniversary trip...not necessary to use bike and tent.

xo

NCmountainwoman said...

What wonderful memories. We did nothing so exciting but I do remember trying to put up that dratted canvas tent when we camped in parks. Campers have it so easy nowadays.

Deanna said...

Oh my what a find those pictures are. Love that passport photo. They now make you look like convicts.

R. Burnett Baker said...

Excellent! I, too, walked amongst the stones at Stonehenge. At the time I was simply astounded at being able to touch with my hands thousands of years of history, and mystery!

Darla said...

An adventure indeed! How truly wonderful it must have been.

Tammy said...

You both look so young and daring--the quintessential '70s couple--ready for adventure. I'm sure the trip was all the better for the little Sears tent. :-) My Aunt and a friend of hers went across country here in the US for several years--working at jobs as they needed for expenses, but seeing the sites in a novel way.

Tammy

Vicki Lane said...

Martin -- we've been back to England twice since then -- a walking tour in the Cotswolds and Rye, Portsmouth, Bath, Oxford then a trip to Scotland to follow the 'Whisky Trail.' I'd love another visit but don't know if the budget can stand it. I've never seen York or the Lake District or Cornwall or the West coast of Devon . . . and lots more, but those are what come to mind.