Sunday, May 12, 2013

Happy Mothers' Day, I Guess . . .


I found myself in a bit of a quandary as I began today's post . . . I've been reading recently comments here and there from women who say they dislike Mother's Day because they feel that their not having had children -- whether by choice or fate -- makes them inadequate in the eyes of some.  Kind of the way some folks hate Valentines Day because they aren't in a relationship. . .

Personally, I'm pretty sure Mother's Day and Valentine's Day are only as big as they are for commercial reasons -- all those guilt-induced purchases of flowers, chocolate, cards, or whatever.   

 I'm all for mothers -- but, really, as over-populated as the Earth is   --maybe there should be a  day honoring those who choose not to reproduce. 
As I deliberated over this post, I was reminded of  some years ago when a bunch of us newcomers to the mountains decided to start a peace group. . . and then others wanted to expand it to include environmental issues . . . and then we had to decide exactly where we stood as a group on various knotty issues. Not least of these issues was a name for our group. 'Plowshares' (as in beating swords into plowshares) was a popular choice but then we needed some recognition of our interest in environmental issues . . . and there we were, back at the realization that we didn't all agree on everything.
Finally, after a long session of trying to achieve consensus, one member sugested we call ourselves 'PLOWSHARES:People For and Against Peace and the Environment.'  
So, in keeping with that, I'll wish everyone a Happy Mothers' and Non-Mothers' Day!
 
 
Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Ms. A said...

Happy Mother's Day, Vicki.

Martin said...

Vicki, you should have been a diplomat!

jennyfreckles said...

We have to accept that differences of opinion abound. It's how we handle them that counts. 'First seek to understand, then to be understood' always seems to me a good maxim.
I'm happy to celebrate Mother's Day and to wish you a happy one too.

Kath said...

Perfect.

Anonymous said...

Even though we may not all BE Mothers, whether by choice or circumstance, we all have or have had mothers, so what the hey, Happy Mother's Day y'all.
Mary Anne in Cosby (mether to a Kitteh)

Brian Miller said...

happy mothers day...i dont mind having a day to celebrate the ladies that gave us life....and for those still trying...they have my prayers....

Barbara Rogers said...

I've enjoyed being friends with many women who chose not to be mothers, but to use that creative energy in other wonderful ways. They are mothers of invention, so to speak. Happy Mom's day to you!

Vicki Lane said...

Mothers of Invention! Perfect, Barb!

NCmountainwoman said...

There is little doubt that Mothers Day has deteriorated to yet another "Hallmark Holiday." And yet its beginnings were much more meaningful than that.

As for non-mothers, the day is for honoring one's OWN mother and no one should feel devalued since we all have (or had) mothers. I hope they will honor their mothers living or dead as the day was intended. Given their personalities and circumstances in life, most mothers did the best they could.

Mary Maupin said...

Great post, Ms. Lane! And, you mentioned knotty issue as related to the environment--you must be referring to Japanese Knotweed?
xoxo

Stella Jones said...

Even if one is not a mother oneself, one has a mother, surely? I don't get that opinion. If the mother has died, it's a good day to do some remembering.

I'm all for mother's day, secretary's day and any other day that's special.

Tammy said...

I use Mother's Day to celebrate my Mom while I still have her. It's quiet and low key but we have a good time. The only problem with Mother's Day is when people have to bring to my attention that I'm not....And really, that is their problem if they are that insecure I guess. People are silly the world over. We have to try and do the best we can with what we are and what we have--and not worry about others. I do feel sad for those facing Mother's Day after losing their Mom or a child. And unfortunately there are those that will make that harder on them too with their comments.

By the way--love the name the person volunteered for your group. Tooo funny.

Tammy