Tuesday, June 9, 2015

After Hours at the Blacksmith Shop

One evening, after dinner, I went with some of my students to the Blacksmith Studio where we were treated to a demonstration.
Dave ( gray shirt) was the instructor and Steve (blue shirt) was his assistant.


Dave showed us a cross that had been fashioned from a single bar with some strategic cut in it. . .

Dave explained the process in general. . .

And demonstrated making a leaf . . .
 . . .
It was fascinating to see a piece of steel become so malleable


so quickly.

So beautiful.

These guys were so accommodating. 
Next Steve made a cross.

.
Blacksmithing is really popular at J.C. Campbell. I suspect that the classes fill quickly. It's loud, hot, dirty, physical work -- pretty much the complete opposite from writing -- probably why we so enjoyed watching the men at work.


Notice the beam ends carved in anvil shapes.


10 comments:

Miss_Yves said...

Thanks for sharing!
Something for you today on my blog!

Ms. A said...

Not sure I could take the heat, but it would be pretty exciting to see something take shape!

Thérèse said...

The picture before last is simply Wonderful!
Such a treat.

Diotima Mantineia said...

I've been there once. Always wanted to go back. Your posts are reminding me that I should do that!

Frances said...

Vicki, on various childhood visits to Williamsburg, VA, my favorite stop was the blacksmith's shop. Always fascinating back then, and I bet that I would be spellbound watching a smithy work now, too.

Love the little video! xo

Unknown said...

Especially enjoyed this post. My husband has a blacksmith shop and
loves working there when he has the time.

L. D. said...

The building is so interesting both inside and out. I too like the anvil beams.

Barbara Rogers said...

Great to see the demo, another craft is always of interest to me!

Vagabonde said...

This must be fascinating to watch. It reminds me of glass blowers, another art form that requires so much precision and timing. I really like the little leaf (I am not much into crosses, for some reason they make me think about the guillotine – objects where people got killed.)

Stella Jones said...

I just love watching those old crafts. The results are fantastic aren't they!