Wednesday, September 16, 2015

A Chinese Poem from the Tang Dynasty


                                               Here in the mountain village
                                Evening falls peacefully.
                                Half tipsy, I lounge in the
                                Doorway. The moon shines in the
                                Twilight sky. The breeze is so 
                                Gentle the water is hardly
                                               Ruffled. I have escaped from
                                 Lies and trouble. I no longer
                                 Have any importance. I
                                 Do not miss my horses and
                                 Chariots. Here at home I
                                 Have plenty of pigs and chickens.



The poem is by Lu Yu, the author of  The Classic of Tea
The translation is by Kenneth Rexroth whose 100 Poems from the Chinese is one of my favorites. (Also his 100 Poems from the Japanese.)


8 comments:

Ms. A said...

I love the ocean of fog in the first photo!

Jean Baardsen said...

LOVE!!

Barbara Rogers said...

Your photos have a definite oriental flavor today! Lovely.

Frances said...

Thank you, Vicki, for sharing this harmonious beauty with us. xo

Jime said...

The first two photos impart a lacy feel to the trees. I don't know your altitude but are those clouds below in the valley or just dense fog? My chariot was parked long ago and I got no pigs and chickens so I will take pictures and BBQ. Love your pictures.

Vicki Lane said...

We're not much above 2,ooo. That's fog rising from the river.

Thérèse said...

Such a nice sharing.

Anvilcloud said...

Nice feeling to this. I looked up the book. Gets a bit pricey now.