Thursday, October 27, 2016

The Clay Girl



The Clay Girl by Heather Tucker is an amazing debut. The story of Ari, youngest of six sisters in a most dysfunctional family is told slant -- in language so poetic, so allusive, so enigmatic that for the first few pages I found myself agreeing with one of Ari's teachers later in the book as he reads one of her stories: "I haven't a clue what half of it means but I feel it, I see it, and on some level I understand it completely." 


The puzzlement clears soon and it becomes obvious that Ari is telling her story in the only way she can --sideways because the full on reality is too harsh.

The novel follows Ari from eight -- when her father kills himself, her mother has a breakdown, and the sisters are doled out to various relatives -- to sixteen when she has an opportunity to put into action the lessons life has taught her. During those eight years, Ari bounces between wonderful, nurturing situations and people -- and other people and situations that will test all her resilience.

The beauty of the writing and the indomitable spirit of young Ari keep this book from being depressing. Horrible things happen -- but so do wonderful things. 

Highly, highly recommended!



9 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Wow! You are really good at this.

Barbara Rogers said...

Alright...a good book is certainly a good way to start the day, as well as end it, as my reading often is. Thanks for finding another gem for us!

Bernie said...

Going to see if my bookstore has it, sounds like a good read. Hope you are improving each day Vicki, big hugs, xx

Heather said...

Oh, Vicki, thank you for this spectacular review. You explained the tangled thoughts and threads better than I ever could..."Ari is telling her story in the only way she can --sideways because the full on reality is too harsh." I'm delighted you enjoyed the book and your recommendation is so appreciated.

Vicki Lane said...

It is an amazing book, Heather. You should be very proud!

Frances said...

Vicki, I will be adding this book to my "to be read" list. At this point I need to conjure up an eighth day of the week just for reading! xo

NCmountainwoman said...

I downloaded this book yesterday when I read the comment section of your post. And I immediately got caught up in it. I love the way you describe the story as being told sideways. Perfect description for telling of a painful situation. I'm sure I will have finished it by tomorrow.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

This certainly does sound like a good read. Wonderful review.

Jime said...

Your review is wonderful. I am not sure i could endure the very big changes in situations for this young woman.