Sunday, December 4, 2016

Mystery Rock


This pretty little rock -- small enough to hide in the palm of my hand -- was decorating the potted bulbs I mentioned yesterday. I was intrigued by it and wondered what it was -- orange quartz mixed with something else or agate or . . .? Bits of it look like polished ivory.



Plus, as John pointed out, it really looks like a netsuke waiting to happen -- maybe if I turn it this way . . .

I've spent a lot of time picking up pretty rocks but have never seen one quite like this. So I called Nancy and asked where it came from.

From a bag of decorative rocks in the garden supply section at Lowes was the answer.

So now I need to find out from whence Lowes sources their rocks.

(Time on  my hands . . .)

Addendum: Justin just told me that it was he who stuck the rock in the pot. And he doesn't remember where it came from. Just a rock he picked up somewhere and had lying around the house. . .


5 comments:

Unknown said...

It does look like Netsuke! When we moved to the Smokies in 2006 one of the many loads of 'stuff' we brought was my rocks. We had ancient seabed coral in the hills of Palmyra, where we lived in Middle Tennessee (not Egypt, not Syria) and I would lug 20 pound pieces down to the farm and add to my wall. I wasn't just gonna leave it. So, we moved it. Although just a few hundred miles away, we have nothing like that in Cosby at all.
I am scared the winds will start again. We are about 4 miles from the Cobbly Knob fire.

Vicki Lane said...

I've been following your posts, Mary Anne -- what a terrible and terrifying time you are having. Stay safe!

And I totally understand moving rocks. I visited a friend near Lake Erie and picked up beautiful glacier-smoothed rocks. When I flew home, the guy at check in picked up my suitcase and asked if it was full of rocks. Well, yes.

Anvilcloud said...

I have no idea, but it is interesting.

Carol Crump Bryner said...

Such a fascinating rock. When we have time on our hands is when we learn the most interesting things. Hope you can find out what it is. But no matter what, you'll probably always think of it as "my Netsuke."

Jime said...

Could it be amber? maybe not. Looks like the other kind of rock is very dark like basalt. The two types of rock look like they were kind of melted together? Volcanic in some way?