Sunday, February 19, 2017

The Most Obliging of Spring Blooms


The flowering quince is one of the first things I planted in the spring of 1976.  It was an offshoot of a bush down at what was the Freeman's and is now Justin and Claui's house and it has persisted and spread to the point that every year I hack at it, trying to control its spreading tendency. But those early buds and blooms -- ahh!


Many of my daffodils date back to that spring -- the gift of that same neighbor. Daffodils multiply into big clumps that need thinning and resetting every few years -- another thing for the to do list. Daffodils also seem to be impervious to the various critters that wipe out tulips -- alas for all the beautiful tulips I've planted over the years that are only a memory now.


Forsythia, or Yellow Bells as my neighbor called them, is another vigorous and hardy spreader. It's nice to bring inside for some early blooms and it also roots quite easily, making it easy to share with friends.


 So much in my garden that dates back to those early years was the gift of friends and neighbors, and I think of many of them, now gone, especially when the blooms return in the spring -- the eternal return.

5 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Your place is bursting with life, and it's very nice to see.

Wayfarin' Stranger said...

Every year we look forward to the "yellow weekend" when both the daffodils and forsythia are in full bloom.

jennyfreckles said...

I so love to see these signs of spring, whether over here in reality or by virtue of the virtual visits to your land.

katy gilmore said...

My understanding is that narcissus are poisonous! So in my garden they withstand deer and slugs. A florist once told me not to put them in the same vase as the more delicate tulips, I thought that interesting. Powerful they are - I wish tulips had a little more of their stamina. It's glorious to see your bloom - this third week of February, I'm going to try and notice how much later we are - have buds now - but no bloom! xo

Jime said...

Blossoms, Blooms, Buds such bounty and beauty