Monday, May 15, 2017

Recent Re-reads



Getting ready to start watching the new TV series, I reread  AMERICAN GODS by listening to this brilliant full cast performance. I learn more and appreciate the writing more every time I come back to this amazing fantasy/mystery/ romance/horror/whathaveyou novel. Click HERE to listen to a sample.


I bought this book back when I was sixty, looking, I think, for guidance in dealing with this aging thing. Now I kinda have to giggle that I thought sixty was old. But there is some fine wisdom and luminescent writing in this collection of short stories.

Go HERE for an interview of M.F.K. Fisher by Bill Moyers.

And, in preparation for another TV series, I pulled out my old copy of THE HANDMAID"S TALE. It's every bit as chilling as it was when I first read it -- and even scarier because of the current political climate that seems bent on erasing the gains made by women.

Deja vu all over again.





5 comments:

Thérèse said...

I don't know any of them but think I should ;-)

NCmountainwoman said...

I also re-read "Handmaid's Tale" and found it even more fascinating than when I read it years ago. I was pleased to hear that Margaret Atwood assisted in the series and even has a cameo role. I passed on re-reading "American Gods" only because of its length and because I have read it twice. I'm recording the series so I can binge watch as much as I want. I must confess ignorance of M.F.K. Fisher so thank you for widening my knowledge.

A suggestion: If you haven't read "The Circle" by Dave Eggers, please do so. A very frightening futuristic novel that may also ring far more true than we would like to believe.

Vicki Lane said...

MFK Fisher is known for her writing on food but it's actually much more than that. Exquisite prose! I haven't read anything of Eggers but know I should. And I will.

Barbara Rogers said...

I just found something interesting, of which I probably won't avail myself...Mr Rogers Neighborhood shows will be streaming starting today at noon PDT, all hundreds of episodes, which takes over 17 days to watch continuously. Just throwing that out there with nostalgia and not exactly the same genre'.

Darla said...

I'm not sure I can bring myself to watch the series on "The Handmaid's Tale." Last year, I read the book, and wrote an essay about it -- https://feminismandreligion.com/2016/07/12/ignoring-isnt-the-same-as-ignorance-by-darla-graves-palmer/ -- but I'm just not sure I can take myself into that particular thinking space again yet. As you point out, right now it feels to real.